Skip to main content

Good people

Husband lost his cell phone Friday night. He dropped it while we were stopped by the side of the road so he could have a pee. He didn't realize it was missing until yesterday afternoon, and, by the time we went looking for it there, it was gone. As it turned out, a fellow named Steve, who was in town for an event yesterday, found it when he stopped for a pee at the very same spot. I kid you not.

Needless to say, we were relieved to get Steve's message this afternoon. Though Husband only uses his phone to phone, text and check  email, it was nerve-wracking to consider just how vulnerable we'd be if bad guys got access to our personal information.

Fortunately, there are a lot more good people than bad in the world - like the gentleman who found Husband's phone - but sometimes that's hard to remember when we see such awful stuff in the news all day every day. It's important to try though. Otherwise, we go through life being suspicious of others, when the fact is most of them are just trying to be good people like us.

Think about your own networks of friends, family and colleagues. How many of them would have done what Steve did? All of them, I bet - or darn near anyway. Yes, there are folks who are dishonest or desperate enough to keep a lost cell phone or misuse the information stored on it, but there are so many more Steves whose first instinct will always be to do what they can to help. It was good to be reminded of that today. 

 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friendly inspiration

I couldn't sleep so got up earlier than usual, intending to write for awhile before heading to the office. Instead, I spent 45 minutes reading blogs written by several friends, each of whom is doggedly pursuing their dreams. I'm so glad I did. It's inspiring to be reminded that there are smart, talented people whose lives aren't focused on job titles, how much they make, or what they consume. I especially need that reminder as I grind my way through these last few week of full-time employment. Though my decision to retire was carefully thought-out, a small voice continues to insist I got it wrong - that I'm going to regret giving up the generous paycheck and professional identity that goes with it. The truth is I probably will miss those things. But the payoff is a lot more free time and, at this stage of my life, it's time I value most. Time to walk amongst the trees and breathe deeply. Time to be kinder to myself and others. Time to think about what matter

Coffee

I've always enjoyed my morning cup of jo. Most mornings, when I'm home with Husband, he gets up first, makes coffee, and brings me a cup before I even get out of bed. For a few years, our routine was to stay in bed for a half hour or so most mornings, sipping coffee, petting the cat and chatting about the day ahead. Now that I'm living on my own during the week, I have to make my own coffee - which has taken some getting used to. On the upside, my desire for coffee makes it easier to get out of bed in the morning, and I find I'm mostly enjoying the new routine, though I miss Husband and Jackie Blue of course. Neither of the apartments I've rented since Labour Day has a drip coffee maker, so I've had to rely on older technologies to make my morning cuppa - first a small stove top expresso maker, and now a French press. Each has pros and cons but, overall, I prefer the French press because it mellower coffee and I can make two cups at once.  My main criticism

Retirement planning

I've finally firmed up my retirement date and begun telling people I'm leaving. It mostly feels good. The awkward thing is that they invariably ask me what my plans are for when I retire, and I don't have a good answer yet. On the one hand, I'm not too concerned about that. I have a full life outside work so there's little doubt I'll find interesting and useful things to do. After all, my primary motivation for retiring early is to focus more time and energy on things that matter most to me - family, friends, community, exercise, political engagement, creative activity.  On the other, I can't help feeling a bit anxious about what lies ahead, given the uncertainties. What if Husband and I drive each other crazy? What if I miss my work? What if we don't have enough money to live comfortably as we age?  I'm determined not to let fear and anxiety keep me from taking the leap. It's possible I've another 35-40 years of living to do and