Skip to main content

Hippy dippy Candy

Like many girls of my generation, I spent a decade or so in the Girl Guides - first as a Brownie, then as a Guide, a Pathfinder, and finally a Junior Leader.  Looking back, I value those experiences a lot. They taught me a great deal about teamwork, community building, and learning outside my comfort zone.

My Girl Guide leader was a woman my sisters and I still refer to as "Captain Beacock". I admired her tremendously but she also scared the living bejesus out of me. Disappointing Captain - ever - wasn't an option. On one particularly memorable wilderness camping expedition, she insisted a small group of us (the oldest of whom was 13 or 14) spend the night in a leaky lean-to in the midst of a hurricane. I kid you not. In the end, other leaders, concerned we might be smote by falling trees, rescued us so we spent the last part of the night in a warm, dry cabin nearby, but she'd have left us in the woods if she'd had her way.

Our Pathfinder leader was the complete antithesis of Captain. Candy (I don't remember her last name) was only a few years younger than Captain, but she was a hippy dippy flower child. What I remember most about her - aside from her afro hairstyle, peasant blouses and platform shoes - was that she had a pet iguana, chain-smoked and lived in a mobile home, where she often hosted our meetings.

One memorable weekend, she took a group of us to northern NS for a "camping" weekend. In fact, we didn't camp since we stayed in a cottage owned by one of the camper's parents. And we didn't spend the weekend honing our outdoor survival skills. Candy apparently thought other survival skills were more important - so we spent the weekend learning to drink wine, smoke cigarettes and deal with the attention of the various young men (and not so young men) hanging around the beach, who likely saw us as easy prey.

In retrospect, it was a crazy thing to do - taking a group of small town girls away like that - but, as far as I can recall, Candy handled it all with ease - keeping a close on us throughout the weekend, gently teaching us to look after ourselves and one another, intervening when necessary to ensure we made it safe home, and giving us the opportunity to experience our first tastes of freedom in relative safety.

I've no idea where Candy ended up, which is too bad. I'd like to thank her for that weekend, and all the other times she supported us girls as we worked at becoming strong, independent women. Captain too. They were role models at a time we sorely needed them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friendly inspiration

I couldn't sleep so got up earlier than usual, intending to write for awhile before heading to the office. Instead, I spent 45 minutes reading blogs written by several friends, each of whom is doggedly pursuing their dreams. I'm so glad I did. It's inspiring to be reminded that there are smart, talented people whose lives aren't focused on job titles, how much they make, or what they consume. I especially need that reminder as I grind my way through these last few week of full-time employment. Though my decision to retire was carefully thought-out, a small voice continues to insist I got it wrong - that I'm going to regret giving up the generous paycheck and professional identity that goes with it. The truth is I probably will miss those things. But the payoff is a lot more free time and, at this stage of my life, it's time I value most. Time to walk amongst the trees and breathe deeply. Time to be kinder to myself and others. Time to think about what matter

Coffee

I've always enjoyed my morning cup of jo. Most mornings, when I'm home with Husband, he gets up first, makes coffee, and brings me a cup before I even get out of bed. For a few years, our routine was to stay in bed for a half hour or so most mornings, sipping coffee, petting the cat and chatting about the day ahead. Now that I'm living on my own during the week, I have to make my own coffee - which has taken some getting used to. On the upside, my desire for coffee makes it easier to get out of bed in the morning, and I find I'm mostly enjoying the new routine, though I miss Husband and Jackie Blue of course. Neither of the apartments I've rented since Labour Day has a drip coffee maker, so I've had to rely on older technologies to make my morning cuppa - first a small stove top expresso maker, and now a French press. Each has pros and cons but, overall, I prefer the French press because it mellower coffee and I can make two cups at once.  My main criticism

Retirement planning

I've finally firmed up my retirement date and begun telling people I'm leaving. It mostly feels good. The awkward thing is that they invariably ask me what my plans are for when I retire, and I don't have a good answer yet. On the one hand, I'm not too concerned about that. I have a full life outside work so there's little doubt I'll find interesting and useful things to do. After all, my primary motivation for retiring early is to focus more time and energy on things that matter most to me - family, friends, community, exercise, political engagement, creative activity.  On the other, I can't help feeling a bit anxious about what lies ahead, given the uncertainties. What if Husband and I drive each other crazy? What if I miss my work? What if we don't have enough money to live comfortably as we age?  I'm determined not to let fear and anxiety keep me from taking the leap. It's possible I've another 35-40 years of living to do and