Skip to main content

Ominous heat

We're having another series of very hot days this week - 29 degrees C today and the forecast is the same for tomorrow. I've never minded the heat much. Winter's are long in eastern Canada so I've always been inclined to savour hot weather when we get it - reveling in the feeling of being warm through to my bones.

I haven't been able to enjoy it in the same way this year. The unusually long stretches of high temperatures and humidity seem downright ominous in light of the grim environmental news from across the country and around the world - massive fires burning out of control in the west, ancient ice packs collapsing in the north, extreme flooding in some parts of the world, desperate droughts in others. The signs that our little blue planet is in crisis are all around us.

Despite that evidence, it seems most people prefer to pretend climate change isn't happening and carry on as if it's business as usual. I don't get it. Do they imagine someone else is going to clean up their mess? Or are they hoping the worst won't happen in their lifetime? What about their kids and grandkids? Perhaps, the future's simply too scary to contemplate. Whatever their reasoning, it appears far too few have any real interest in doing anything about it - particularly, it it means paying a little more for products they don't need in the first place, or being inconvenienced in any way.

It's disheartening to say the least. However, I continue to believe that those who see the danger have a moral obligation to try to draw attention to it. When and if the worst happens - as I'm awfully afraid it will - and sooner than we expect - I want to be able to say I did my best to make a difference.
I must lose myself in action, lest I wither in despair. -Alfred Lord Tennyson
I must lose myself in action, lest I wither in despair. Alfred Lord Tennyson
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/alfred_lord_tennyson_153690?src=t_despair
I must lose myself in action, lest I wither in despair. Alfred Lord Tennyson
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/alfred_lord_tennyson_153690?src=t_despair
I must lose myself in action, lest I wither in despair. Alfred Lord Tennyson
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/alfred_lord_tennyson_153690?src=t_despair

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friendly inspiration

I couldn't sleep so got up earlier than usual, intending to write for awhile before heading to the office. Instead, I spent 45 minutes reading blogs written by several friends, each of whom is doggedly pursuing their dreams. I'm so glad I did. It's inspiring to be reminded that there are smart, talented people whose lives aren't focused on job titles, how much they make, or what they consume. I especially need that reminder as I grind my way through these last few week of full-time employment. Though my decision to retire was carefully thought-out, a small voice continues to insist I got it wrong - that I'm going to regret giving up the generous paycheck and professional identity that goes with it. The truth is I probably will miss those things. But the payoff is a lot more free time and, at this stage of my life, it's time I value most. Time to walk amongst the trees and breathe deeply. Time to be kinder to myself and others. Time to think about what matter

Baby, it's December 6th

It frustrates me that on this December 6th (in Canada, the National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence against Women ) there's more heated debate about radio stations choosing not to play an old song than action to end gender-based violence. The song's defenders say those who don't like it aren't interpreting it properly, that it's "just a song" and that people who find it offensive should "get over it". I'll be the first to admit the lyrics aren't be the worst example of misogynist song-writing but that doesn't mean they're not objectionable. Think about it. If the woman really wants to stay, why doesn't she just say so? Why does she instead offer excuses, insisting she really "must" go. Because society - then and now - judges, devalues and punishes women who express their romantic and sexual desires too frankly.  If she doesn't want to stay, what does she have to say to get him to back off? W

Retirement planning

I've finally firmed up my retirement date and begun telling people I'm leaving. It mostly feels good. The awkward thing is that they invariably ask me what my plans are for when I retire, and I don't have a good answer yet. On the one hand, I'm not too concerned about that. I have a full life outside work so there's little doubt I'll find interesting and useful things to do. After all, my primary motivation for retiring early is to focus more time and energy on things that matter most to me - family, friends, community, exercise, political engagement, creative activity.  On the other, I can't help feeling a bit anxious about what lies ahead, given the uncertainties. What if Husband and I drive each other crazy? What if I miss my work? What if we don't have enough money to live comfortably as we age?  I'm determined not to let fear and anxiety keep me from taking the leap. It's possible I've another 35-40 years of living to do and