Skip to main content

So much stuff

Husband and I are in the midst of moving from a house in the city to a place that we’ve had in the country for several years. The whole time we've owned the two places, we made a point of accumulating as little as possible because we knew we’d be consolidating to one place eventually.  Unfortunately, we didn't do as good a job of that as we thought. Two weeks after our move, we're still struggling to figure out what to pass along and where to put all the stuff we want to keep. Our country house, which always felt so airy and bright, suddenly feels far too small and dark.

When you stop to think about it, it's extraordinary how much stuff even regular folks have in affluent countries like Canada. Most of us have more clothes and shoes than we'll ever get round to wearing, electronic devices and kitchen appliances that we use only rarely, and souvenirs and photographs that we look at once or twice a decade at most. The bibliophiles amongst us casually accumulate hundreds - sometimes thousands - of books. We spend more time figuring out how and where to store all our stuff than we ever spend actually using it. The mental, physical, and psychological cost of acquiring and managing it all is simply enormous.

So what's the answer? First and foremost, we have to stop buying so much. To do that,  I recommend avoiding malls at all costs and only shopping when you actually need something.

Second, we need to figure out how to share the stuff we have more easily. Lusting after some new tool? Figure out where you can borrow it instead. If you have no choice but to buy it, think about who can you lend it to when you're not using it yourself.

Third, we need to make stuff last as long as we can. Look after your stuff, repair it when necessary. No, you don't need the latest greatest version of absolutely everything - especially when an older version will do the job.

Finally, we need to pass stuff along when we're done with it. There are plenty of folks willing and able to use stuff you don't want anymore - most of it anyway. Figure out who they are, and give away everything you can. Waiting to give it to the "right person" or sell it "someday" usually means stuff sits in the attic or garage until it's of no use to anyone.

Need inspiration? Check out these words of wisdom:

“The best way to find out what we really need is to get rid of what we don't.”
Marie Kondō

“Owning less is better than organizing more.”
Joshua Becker,

Comments

  1. Totally! We have been in our house more than 30 years, and some days I think I'm drowning in clutter. At one point I could produce a list of books for insurance purposes. Now it's several lists via different technologies, and I don't have the faintest idea how many books there are. I would not be surprised to find it's north of 5000, many of which I know we will never touch again. And CD's, and DVD's. And, and, and...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friendly inspiration

I couldn't sleep so got up earlier than usual, intending to write for awhile before heading to the office. Instead, I spent 45 minutes reading blogs written by several friends, each of whom is doggedly pursuing their dreams. I'm so glad I did. It's inspiring to be reminded that there are smart, talented people whose lives aren't focused on job titles, how much they make, or what they consume. I especially need that reminder as I grind my way through these last few week of full-time employment. Though my decision to retire was carefully thought-out, a small voice continues to insist I got it wrong - that I'm going to regret giving up the generous paycheck and professional identity that goes with it. The truth is I probably will miss those things. But the payoff is a lot more free time and, at this stage of my life, it's time I value most. Time to walk amongst the trees and breathe deeply. Time to be kinder to myself and others. Time to think about what matter

Coffee

I've always enjoyed my morning cup of jo. Most mornings, when I'm home with Husband, he gets up first, makes coffee, and brings me a cup before I even get out of bed. For a few years, our routine was to stay in bed for a half hour or so most mornings, sipping coffee, petting the cat and chatting about the day ahead. Now that I'm living on my own during the week, I have to make my own coffee - which has taken some getting used to. On the upside, my desire for coffee makes it easier to get out of bed in the morning, and I find I'm mostly enjoying the new routine, though I miss Husband and Jackie Blue of course. Neither of the apartments I've rented since Labour Day has a drip coffee maker, so I've had to rely on older technologies to make my morning cuppa - first a small stove top expresso maker, and now a French press. Each has pros and cons but, overall, I prefer the French press because it mellower coffee and I can make two cups at once.  My main criticism

Retirement planning

I've finally firmed up my retirement date and begun telling people I'm leaving. It mostly feels good. The awkward thing is that they invariably ask me what my plans are for when I retire, and I don't have a good answer yet. On the one hand, I'm not too concerned about that. I have a full life outside work so there's little doubt I'll find interesting and useful things to do. After all, my primary motivation for retiring early is to focus more time and energy on things that matter most to me - family, friends, community, exercise, political engagement, creative activity.  On the other, I can't help feeling a bit anxious about what lies ahead, given the uncertainties. What if Husband and I drive each other crazy? What if I miss my work? What if we don't have enough money to live comfortably as we age?  I'm determined not to let fear and anxiety keep me from taking the leap. It's possible I've another 35-40 years of living to do and