Skip to main content

My people

The truth is I'm not all that close with most of my family anymore. Over the years, we've grown in very different directions and, although I still love them, I no longer think we have much in common, or that spending time with them is particularly good for me.

The trouble is they don't bring out the best in me, which isn't intentional on their part. It's just that I can't be fully myself when I'm with them, mostly because I know so much of what I think and say makes them uncomfortable. 

For a long time, I tried to bridge the divide by biting my tongue in some circumstances, and forcing discussion in others, but nothing seemed to work. I'm just too different from them to fit easily into their tribe, and my efforts to do so only made everyone unhappy. 

Once I accepted that, things got easier - particularly, when I set some ground rules for myself. I still do things with and for family - but only when I really want to. I don't do them out of a sense of guilt or obligation. And I refuse to apologize for who I am, or bite my tongue when I feel a moral or ethical obligation to speak up.

The other thing that's helped me deal with feeling like an outsider in my own family is finding "my people" - friends and colleagues with whom I share values, perspectives and experiences, who value me because of who I am and not in spite of it, and who help me to be the best version of myself - even when we disagree. 

The tricky bit was figuring out who my people were. For a long time, many of my friendships were as unhealthy as my family relationships. Once I began recognizing that pattern, however, it got easier to let toxic relationships go so that I could nurture healthier ones. 

Of course, all relationships wax and wane to some extent, which is entirely normal. We can't always be the best versions of ourselves, and good friends can and should help one another through the rough patches. But if - over a period of months or years - a friendship's impacts are more negative than positive and there's no indication things will change, I've found it's often best to move on to make space for others.

Comments

  1. So many people get trapped into toxic relationships because "they're family" and they feel they have to "love" them. I'm glad you've found a way to deal with it on your terms. Relationships are trickier now, I think. It used to be you were friends with the people you lived near. If someone moved away, you lost touch unless both of you were good letter writers. Now, holy doodle, Facetime or Skype is essentially free because wifi is almost everywhere. There is no end of ways of staying in touch via words and photos on screen. One can become friends with people that live at the other end of the country or around the world, and go years without meeting. You can find your tribe by making only a small effort, and the rewards can be immense. But it does take a bit of doing to manage the relationships that society expects you to maintain even though you might not want to. My elderly granny that passed away a little while ago was a very difficult relationship because of her adder's tongue. Most of her descendants avoided her because of that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friendly inspiration

I couldn't sleep so got up earlier than usual, intending to write for awhile before heading to the office. Instead, I spent 45 minutes reading blogs written by several friends, each of whom is doggedly pursuing their dreams. I'm so glad I did. It's inspiring to be reminded that there are smart, talented people whose lives aren't focused on job titles, how much they make, or what they consume. I especially need that reminder as I grind my way through these last few week of full-time employment. Though my decision to retire was carefully thought-out, a small voice continues to insist I got it wrong - that I'm going to regret giving up the generous paycheck and professional identity that goes with it. The truth is I probably will miss those things. But the payoff is a lot more free time and, at this stage of my life, it's time I value most. Time to walk amongst the trees and breathe deeply. Time to be kinder to myself and others. Time to think about what matter

Coffee

I've always enjoyed my morning cup of jo. Most mornings, when I'm home with Husband, he gets up first, makes coffee, and brings me a cup before I even get out of bed. For a few years, our routine was to stay in bed for a half hour or so most mornings, sipping coffee, petting the cat and chatting about the day ahead. Now that I'm living on my own during the week, I have to make my own coffee - which has taken some getting used to. On the upside, my desire for coffee makes it easier to get out of bed in the morning, and I find I'm mostly enjoying the new routine, though I miss Husband and Jackie Blue of course. Neither of the apartments I've rented since Labour Day has a drip coffee maker, so I've had to rely on older technologies to make my morning cuppa - first a small stove top expresso maker, and now a French press. Each has pros and cons but, overall, I prefer the French press because it mellower coffee and I can make two cups at once.  My main criticism

Retirement planning

I've finally firmed up my retirement date and begun telling people I'm leaving. It mostly feels good. The awkward thing is that they invariably ask me what my plans are for when I retire, and I don't have a good answer yet. On the one hand, I'm not too concerned about that. I have a full life outside work so there's little doubt I'll find interesting and useful things to do. After all, my primary motivation for retiring early is to focus more time and energy on things that matter most to me - family, friends, community, exercise, political engagement, creative activity.  On the other, I can't help feeling a bit anxious about what lies ahead, given the uncertainties. What if Husband and I drive each other crazy? What if I miss my work? What if we don't have enough money to live comfortably as we age?  I'm determined not to let fear and anxiety keep me from taking the leap. It's possible I've another 35-40 years of living to do and