Skip to main content

Puppy training

We got a Jack Russell Terrier about a year and a half ago. Her name is Jackie Blue ("Sausage", for short) and she's a great little dog - cute, good-natured, energetic and intelligent. She's also stubborn as hell. And lately she's started having allergy symptoms, which makes looking after her a full-time job. If we don't keep a sharp eye on her, she'll sneak off and lick her paws raw while we're not looking. It's frustrating and exhausting for everyone. We finally broke down and bought a "cone of shame" so we can leave her unattended for a few hours at a time, but she hates it so we use it as little as possible.

The frustrating thing about allergies is that it's so tough to identify the source of the problem. Is it something in her food, something in the environment, or some combination of the two? Our vet's best guess is that it's environmental but we're limiting her diet too in case it's a food allergy - which is tough for a dog who's always been fed some people food in addition to Husband's homemade dog good. If it's something in the environment, our hope is things will improve when the snow flies. In the meantime, we're treating the symptoms, keeping a close watch on her, ensuring she gets enough exercise, and trying not to get too discouraged.

The thing about dogs - and JRTs in particular - is that they like to learn new things and have jobs to do. That should make it easy to train Sausage, but the truth is it's mostly she who trains us. After more than a year and a half, we can still only count on her to obey a handful of commands, while she's taught us to interrupt what we're doing dozens of times a day in response to her every whim. She's hungry, she's thirsty, she wants to play, she wants to go out, she wants to come in, she's hungry again, she's thirsty again, she wants to walk, she wants to be carried, she wants a treat, she wants to go out again... You get the picture. The rhythm of our days is largely determined by what Jackie Blue wants.

And of course the allergy has made things worse because, in addition to all the usual services we provide, we have to bathe her feet, medicate her, watch her constantly, and find new ways to entertain her that don't involve walking or running on gravel paths, which are hard on her tootsies at the moment. It's bloody exhausting. And, to be honest, part of me wonders if it's all an elaborate ruse to motivate her humans to pay more attention to her.

Whatever. So long as she keeps looking up at us with that adorable face, I don't suppose we'll have much choice but to do as she commands.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friendly inspiration

I couldn't sleep so got up earlier than usual, intending to write for awhile before heading to the office. Instead, I spent 45 minutes reading blogs written by several friends, each of whom is doggedly pursuing their dreams. I'm so glad I did. It's inspiring to be reminded that there are smart, talented people whose lives aren't focused on job titles, how much they make, or what they consume. I especially need that reminder as I grind my way through these last few week of full-time employment. Though my decision to retire was carefully thought-out, a small voice continues to insist I got it wrong - that I'm going to regret giving up the generous paycheck and professional identity that goes with it. The truth is I probably will miss those things. But the payoff is a lot more free time and, at this stage of my life, it's time I value most. Time to walk amongst the trees and breathe deeply. Time to be kinder to myself and others. Time to think about what matter

Baby, it's December 6th

It frustrates me that on this December 6th (in Canada, the National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence against Women ) there's more heated debate about radio stations choosing not to play an old song than action to end gender-based violence. The song's defenders say those who don't like it aren't interpreting it properly, that it's "just a song" and that people who find it offensive should "get over it". I'll be the first to admit the lyrics aren't be the worst example of misogynist song-writing but that doesn't mean they're not objectionable. Think about it. If the woman really wants to stay, why doesn't she just say so? Why does she instead offer excuses, insisting she really "must" go. Because society - then and now - judges, devalues and punishes women who express their romantic and sexual desires too frankly.  If she doesn't want to stay, what does she have to say to get him to back off? W

Retirement planning

I've finally firmed up my retirement date and begun telling people I'm leaving. It mostly feels good. The awkward thing is that they invariably ask me what my plans are for when I retire, and I don't have a good answer yet. On the one hand, I'm not too concerned about that. I have a full life outside work so there's little doubt I'll find interesting and useful things to do. After all, my primary motivation for retiring early is to focus more time and energy on things that matter most to me - family, friends, community, exercise, political engagement, creative activity.  On the other, I can't help feeling a bit anxious about what lies ahead, given the uncertainties. What if Husband and I drive each other crazy? What if I miss my work? What if we don't have enough money to live comfortably as we age?  I'm determined not to let fear and anxiety keep me from taking the leap. It's possible I've another 35-40 years of living to do and