Skip to main content

Long Nights

The nights have felt long lately. The trouble is I can't seem to sleep through them. And, when I wake up at 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning, it's like a complete stranger is inhabiting my body - thinking and feeling things that make no sense in the cold light of day.

I wouldn't care, except the stranger prevents me from getting back to sleep for hours, no matter how firmly I tell her to shut up. And sometimes she reappears in dreams when I do finally nod off.

It's frustrating because long nights make for long days, when it's a struggle to stay focused and upbeat at work - which is especially important now that I'm counting down the days until retirement. Being sleep-deprived also makes it more challenging to eat properly and get enough exercise.

One night this week, I managed to sleep through but woke up before six, which I preferred since at least I could get up and make good use of the time rather than tossing and turning for hours.

I know people who read or write when they can't sleep, but the stranger doesn't seem interested in doing those things, which is too bad. If she did, at least my sleeplessness would feel more productive.

Comments

  1. I suspect that stranger is future you, waiting to break out of your shell.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friendly inspiration

I couldn't sleep so got up earlier than usual, intending to write for awhile before heading to the office. Instead, I spent 45 minutes reading blogs written by several friends, each of whom is doggedly pursuing their dreams. I'm so glad I did. It's inspiring to be reminded that there are smart, talented people whose lives aren't focused on job titles, how much they make, or what they consume. I especially need that reminder as I grind my way through these last few week of full-time employment. Though my decision to retire was carefully thought-out, a small voice continues to insist I got it wrong - that I'm going to regret giving up the generous paycheck and professional identity that goes with it. The truth is I probably will miss those things. But the payoff is a lot more free time and, at this stage of my life, it's time I value most. Time to walk amongst the trees and breathe deeply. Time to be kinder to myself and others. Time to think about what matter...

Baby, it's December 6th

It frustrates me that on this December 6th (in Canada, the National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence against Women ) there's more heated debate about radio stations choosing not to play an old song than action to end gender-based violence. The song's defenders say those who don't like it aren't interpreting it properly, that it's "just a song" and that people who find it offensive should "get over it". I'll be the first to admit the lyrics aren't be the worst example of misogynist song-writing but that doesn't mean they're not objectionable. Think about it. If the woman really wants to stay, why doesn't she just say so? Why does she instead offer excuses, insisting she really "must" go. Because society - then and now - judges, devalues and punishes women who express their romantic and sexual desires too frankly.  If she doesn't want to stay, what does she have to say to get him to back off? W...

Puppy training

We got a Jack Russell Terrier about a year and a half ago. Her name is Jackie Blue ("Sausage", for short) and she's a great little dog - cute, good-natured, energetic and intelligent. She's also stubborn as hell. And lately she's started having allergy symptoms, which makes looking after her a full-time job. If we don't keep a sharp eye on her, she'll sneak off and lick her paws raw while we're not looking. It's frustrating and exhausting for everyone. We finally broke down and bought a "cone of shame" so we can leave her unattended for a few hours at a time, but she hates it so we use it as little as possible. The frustrating thing about allergies is that it's so tough to identify the source of the problem. Is it something in her food, something in the environment, or some combination of the two? Our vet's best guess is that it's environmental but we're limiting her diet too in case it's a food allergy - which i...